Thread: Noise Stopper Caps - an inexpensive way to keep your system dead quiet

Global Rep.

Noise Stopper Caps - an inexpensive way to keep your system dead quiet

Hi All,

some would have already read in my profile that I'm using Noise Stopper Caps for all open input and output sockets.

RCA Caps

Noise and distortion are bad for audio, destroying precious detail and smearing resolution. The open RCA and XLR inputs and outputs are channeling RFI and EMI noise right into the heart of your components. Cover all the unused inputs and outputs in your system with these Noise Stopper Caps and keep this noise from getting into your components. These caps slide right over unused jacks and will provide both sonic and environmental protection (dust).

XLR Caps (male)

Noise-Stopper Caps are grounding plugs that help you block out unwanted noise. Just slip a cap over the open sockets on the back of your Hi Fi gears. You will be aware, Noise-Stopper Caps lower the noise floor drastically and allow your equipment to perform to it's fullest potential.
    __________________________________________________ _____

"Give Peak A Chance"

Cheers,
    Jochen

THE LISTENING ROOM / Bangalore
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recommended Equipment: AUDIODESK Systeme Gläss, BLUMENHOFER Acoustics, EINSTEIN Audio Components, EMT Studiotechnik, SCHEU Analog, TRIGON Audio Elektronik, WSS - Kabel.
    Further: ASW Loudspeakers, MILLENNIUM Accessories, SEHRING Loudspeakers, SSC Accessories, VALVET Amplifiers.

TroubleShooter
    Global Rep.
    Really? an Audible difference?

Global Rep.
    Yes definetely audible as long as one understands the meaning of a reduced noise floor. Because it's such a great improvement I have decided to deliver all amps and CDPs with these Noise Stopper Caps only. Second advantage is that the sockets are well protected against dust. Very important here in India. So no extensive cleaning of sockets necessary when you want to use an input which has not been used before.

"Give Peak A Chance"

Cheers,
    Jochen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recommended Equipment: AUDIODESK Systeme Gläss, BLUMENHOFER Acoustics, EINSTEIN Audio Components, EMT Studiotechnik, SCHEU Analog, TRIGON Audio Elektronik, WSS - Kabel.
    Further: ASW Loudspeakers, MILLENNIUM Accessories, SEHRING Loudspeakers, SSC Accessories, VALVET Amplifiers.

Global Rep.
    This is a highly recommended Mod. I have been wanting to DIY this for a while now.

Some interesting discussion on this here:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archi...t-1308143.html
    Cheers
    Santhosh

2Ch - Src:Prj Xp2 TT + Ortfn RR Cart->LA BlckCube & Marantz CD94|Pre:NAD 1020A/ADCOM GFP345|Pwr:NAD 216 THX|Spk:B&W DM3000
    HT - Src:PS3/PCH C-200|Proc:Emo UMC-1|Pwr:Rotel RB985|Display: Optoma HD20 PJ, Panoview 16:9 120"
    W.I.P - DIY Altec A7, DIY Shiva X2 Subwoofer

TGA.n REGULAR
    Global Rep.
    Yes Quadaholic, they work. I have never used the Noise Stoppers. But i use something similar from Cardas. I do not know if they are the same but at least they look similar.

Global Rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by santhosh View Post
    Some interesting discussion on this here:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archi...t-1308143.html
    Hi Santosh,
    I didn't have the time to read all the posts on that forum. But while reading cross the thread I got the impression they talk about 75 Ohm termination plugs for unused digital out on CDPs. This is a must too and it also comes with all CDPs which I sell. It's just an RCA plug with a 75 Ohm resistor in it to simulate a 75 Ohm load for the digital out. The CDP sounds better with this plug.
    The Noise Stopper Caps are made of metal and therefore act as a kind of shield for RFI and EMI straying into your system. The open sockets are like antennas for such unwanted disturbances. Plastic caps like they are supplied with Accuphase equipment for example do not have this effect. They are mere dust caps.

"Give Peak A Chance"

Cheers,
    Jochen

Global Rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prem View Post
    Yes Quadaholic, they work. I have never used the Noise Stoppers. But i use something similar from Cardas. I do not know if they are the same but at least they look similar.
    Hi Prem,

That must be the same. As to my knowledge these noise stoppers are available from Audioquest, Cardas and two German companies for accessories: Sieveking Sound and Oelbach. Perhaps there are also more companies which I do not know. But these little tools are very effective. Only recently a friend who writes in another forum under the name Dr.Bass visted me and could immediately make out the difference to the previous time that he visted me and said: "your system sounds now even more dead quiet than last time. What did you do?"

"Give Peak A Chance"

Cheers,
    Jochen

Global Rep.
    @TLR: how much do these cost?

I have a lot of 'open' XLR sockets and a few single ended... i have been wanting to buy something like this for a while....
    Marantz DV 7001 / Wyred 4 Sound Dac 2 + 2 TB HDD / Clearaudio Ambient + Clearaudio Satisfy CF tonearm & Clearaudio Concerto V2 cart / Emmline Nighthawk F-117 Phono / Garrad 401 + SME 3012 & Lyra Lydian + Denon DA 308 & Denon 103 Pro / Lyrita Phono with Cinemag Blue Trafos / Accuphase E 460 / Resurrection Speakers built by Joseph Szall / Audioquest Diamond XLR's / Acoustic Zen Ref 2 single ended / VDH 102 Mk3 / Kimber PBJ / Audience Conductor e LS Cables / Shunyata Taipan Power Cords

Global Rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by malvai View Post
    @TLR: how much do these cost?

I have a lot of 'open' XLR sockets and a few single ended... i have been wanting to buy something like this for a while....
    Hi Manav,

you got a PM.

"Give Peak A Chance"

Cheers,
    Jochen

10. Your reply has been Liked & Thanked by - malvai

Global Rep.
    Would unwired rca connectors also have the same effect?

Global Rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
    Would unwired rca connectors also have the same effect?
    Hi Kamal,

I think no. Because the connectors are open. The idea is to close the open sockets with these caps to block out RFI or EMI from your equipment.

"Give Peak A Chance"

Cheers,
    Jochen

Global Rep.
    There is a demo video of this phenomenon on the Cardas website.

"Give Peak A Chance"

Cheers,
    Jochen

14. Your reply has been Liked & Thanked by - santhosh

Global Rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by TLR View Post
    But while reading cross the thread I got the impression they talk about 75 Ohm termination plugs for unused digital out on CDPs.
    You are right Jochen, though the thread was about 75 ohms termination plugs, there is a discussion on what should and should not be done. For example, the shorted plugs (75 ohms) should be used on unused digital coaxial output on a CDP but not using on an unused analog output of an amplifier is bad. Stuff like that.
    Cheers
    Santhosh

2Ch - Src:Prj Xp2 TT + Ortfn RR Cart->LA BlckCube & Marantz CD94|Pre:NAD 1020A/ADCOM GFP345|Pwr:NAD 216 THX|Spk:B&W DM3000
    HT - Src:PS3/PCH C-200|Proc:Emo UMC-1|Pwr:Rotel RB985|Display: Optoma HD20 PJ, Panoview 16:9 120"
    W.I.P - DIY Altec A7, DIY Shiva X2 Subwoofer

Global Rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by santhosh View Post
    ... but not using on an unused analog output of an amplifier is bad. Stuff like that.
    Yes, that one certainly should not do

"Give Peak A Chance"

Cheers,
    Jochen