WHAT HiFi Show 11.12.13 JULY 2014, THE LEELA, GURGAON
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: User Section: Top rated DAC among Audiophiles

9599 821 821 sid@soundbydesign.in Sid Aryan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Global Rep.

User Section: Top rated DAC among Audiophiles

Suggest & advise!

Share your fav DAC that you recently heard or have or liked from past experience.

And if you can write the attributes you like about the gear shall be a great help to friends reading your words while making a search.

Blog Entries
    Global Rep.
    Cambridge Audio DacMagic DAC

Quality at great price and with balance output for Amp. Great for Digital input (not the best for USB)

Global Rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Suggest & advise!

Share your fav DAC that you recently heard or have or liked from past experience.

And if you can write the attributes you like about the gear shall be a great help to friends reading your words while making a search.
    good tight bass, gives to the virtual computer streamed music more shape and more weight..my favorite!
    I used it connected to MF X-10D, which probably additionally gave more life to the music tru its tubes..
    Sold it only because i bough a CDP with USB in...which was much more expensive and in terms of streamed USB music - worse!

TGA Key Member - Spain , Digital Guru Victor Sanchis's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Global Rep.
    I am currently listening through this... 'though previously, the digital signal has come out from my PC (output soundcard: Lynx AES16) in XLR to a Behringer Ultramatch SRC which converts the XLR into RCA... then from Behringer coax dig output to the TC Electronics BMC-2, which, apart from an excellent DAC (that buffers the digital signal and reclocks it) also includes a very accurate volume control and analog XLR outputs.

Blog Entries
    Global Rep.
    Best for studio monitors perhaps or can be used in home applications as well, where people like warm sound?

Blog Entries
    Global Rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    Best for studio monitors perhaps or can be used in home applications as well, where people like warm sound?
    It can be perfectly used in home applications, too... if it suits your needs: the unit only has 1 Toslink input, 1 SPDIF Coax input + Output volume control + headphones output + only XLR outputs. DAC supports 24/96 kHz and there is no remote control for the volume as it intended to be the volume control for monitoring recordings. Retail price in Europe: around 290 € (taxes included). In my case the only problem was the lack of a digital AES/EBU (XLR) input.
    For a minimalist HiEnd system (PC/Mac + DAC + active speakers/(or poweramp+passive speakers), the concept is really brilliant and transparent. So, no warm, no clinical... with this unit (BMC-2) and this concept what you hear is what it is.

Blog Entries
    Global Rep.
    Nice!
    This seems a steal at Euro 290 if it can deliver the goods. In what segment of the sonics did you find the improvement most drastically ?

Blog Entries
    Global Rep.
    ...sorry for my delay but I have had (and still have) a lot of different tasks at the same time. Ok, back to fun... the most surprising sound characteristic was the natural (almost soft) medium and high frequencies with this DAC. For my taste I would only add an AES/EBU (digital) input: because of this (or the lack of this), I have had to add a Behringer Ultramatch Pro to accept the XLR signal coming from my Pc. Anyway, once I installed the Lynx AES16 in the PC (as a PC XLR output soundcard), the improvement was so huge that it makes me think that this DAC is excellent by itself as still reveals a lot of what is received through its digital inputs.

For those who want to read more about this DAC:

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/viewtopic.php?id=4787
    http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...2-a-little-gem

By the way, it is used also in one of Bob Katz's mastering rooms.

Blog Entries
    Global Rep.
    Could you please explain how a dac works in a new discussion? I have always been critical of dacs till i heard them in the chain.
    A little technical information shall help.

Global Rep.
    The best DAC I have heard for far is the BMC DAC designed by Carlos Candeias: http://www.bmc-audio.de/en/bmc-dac-d...-converter.asp

I also know of a mastering engineer in Germany who has exchanged his LAVRY DAC with this BMC for far better performance over the LAVRY.

__________________________________________________ _____

"Give Peak A Chance"

Cheers,
    Jochen

THE LISTENING ROOM / Bangalore
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recommended Equipment: AUDIODESK Systeme Gläss, BLUMENHOFER Acoustics, EINSTEIN Audio Components, EMT Studiotechnik, SCHEU Analog, TRIGON Audio Elektronik, WSS - Kabel.
    Further: ASW Loudspeakers, MILLENNIUM Accessories, SEHRING Loudspeakers, SSC Accessories, VALVET Amplifiers.

Blog Entries
    Global Rep.
    Sid: I will in the coming days, (about DACs, I mean), of course.
    Joche: I heard about Candeias long time ago but didn´t know anything about the BMC Audio and this DAC (nothing to do with mine from TC Electronic). Let me read a little bit about it...
    ...and thank you for this info !

Blog Entries
    Global Rep.
    BMC, had never heard that. Sells around hiend-ish price i assume?
    How does one remember where to put in those caps ?!? - Jokes, apart. Thats the THICKEST BUNCH of caps i have seen till now in a DAC.

Blog Entries
    Global Rep.
    Ok. seems to be an excellent DAC... but it's important to notice that it costs around 10 times my proposal (BMC-2 is around 290 €) and twice a Lavry DA11 (1400 € more or less).
    BMC DAC 1 = 2798€. But that propietary multi-interconnection between transport and DAC is very interesting !

Global Rep.
    Behind BMC is Carlos Candeias, famous as designer for C.E.C. which you probably know, but also designed for AqVox.

If this DAC is for digital what his phono preamp are for analog, then it must be special. - His phono preamps match the class of Ayre and Nagra, but with less cost
    Čardaš Silver Myrtle Heart + ProJect Perspex, AqVox MkII Phono Pre, Unison Research UNICO CDPrimo & Simply2 LAE
    Cables: Čardaš Clear & Neutral Reference, SE9, TwinLink pc.
    FireWorld: Starlight USB; Aurora, Electra & Silver Electra pc.
    phono FineWire
    Speakers: John Blue Audio Art JB3

4Sale Cardas :
    --> Golden Reference IC - 650€ only. Incredible dramatic sound!
    --> TwinLink power cord - 150€ only, 1st owner. Great organic sound!
    --> MicroTwin RCA- 80€ only, 1st owner

Global Rep.
    B.M.C. is a relatively new company from Germany. Founded some two years ago, I think. One of the managing directors is Carlos Candeias, the other one Bernd Hugo, formerly a founder of RESTEK one of the leading German HighEnd Audio manufacturers for many years. The other former two partners of Restek have formed a new company named TRIGON.

Like Marek already pointed out, Carlos Candeias, after migrating from Germany to China, had developed a lot of equipment for CEC and a fantastic DAC and PhonoPre for AQVOX. All AQVOX and BMC equipment is manufactured in China in Candeias' factory CANDEIAS ENGINEERING http://www.candeias.com/index.swf
    __________________________________________________ _____

"Give Peak A Chance"

Cheers,
    Jochen

THE LISTENING ROOM / Bangalore
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recommended Equipment: AUDIODESK Systeme Gläss, BLUMENHOFER Acoustics, EINSTEIN Audio Components, EMT Studiotechnik, SCHEU Analog, TRIGON Audio Elektronik, WSS - Kabel.
    Further: ASW Loudspeakers, MILLENNIUM Accessories, SEHRING Loudspeakers, SSC Accessories, VALVET Amplifiers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast